Monday, July 4, 2011

Deciding things for myself

So the dietician for my doc's practice is totally against protein shakes once you have started solid foods.  I have to say,  sometimes one has to decide things for oneself.  

What I have discovered for me, is that first thing in the morning is a great time for protein shake.  I awake, and my band is tight.  I am supposed to have something within the first hour of awakening.  When I wake up, I'm usually dehydrated.  I have a horrible taste in my mouth many mornings from the Lunesta, and a dry mouth from the post nasal drip (allergies!).  The last thing I want to do is try and eat something and then not be able to drink anything for an hour.  And, in fact, I can tell you that the days I try and eat a breakfast are the days I don't make my water intake. If I don't get that first 24 ounces in, I usually get less than 48 ounces for the day.

When I have a shake for breakfast - 8 to 12 ounces of almond milk, and a scoop of 100% Gold Whey - I not only get a jump on my liquids, I don't have trouble getting to my protein goals either.  And I'm not nauseous by the time I'm done.   I drink a 24 ounce bottle of water also, as I get ready for my day, and sometimes I have a hot decaf tea first, and I don't have to worry about  the timing of the liquids and meals while I'm also trying to get out the door to work.    I don't find that I get hungry too soon, either.  I usually feel a pinch of hunger at work around 9:30, which is great because it reminds me to stop drinking my water so that I can have my scheduled morning snack at 10 AM (I'm on the 5 to 6 small meals plan). 

I know, some people may be wondering why I'm writing my justifications into my blog.  It's because I'm someone who follows the rules.  And because I have a lot of respect for my dietician, and so it has been hard to do something she told me specifically NOT to do.  This is one of those difficult growth things for me, and however humorous my other posts, this one is very serious.  It's hard for me to do something for myself like this. 

I suspect that I am not the only one on this journey who has trouble breaking out there and doing for herself.  And I reserve the right to change my mind if this changes for me.  But for now I have ordered more protein powder from Amazon, and let them give me the discount that comes with the automatic refill orders. 

The first day I decided to go back to a shake in the morning I got 92 ounces of water in for the first time since starting to eat food, even soft foods.  And yesterday - when the strawberries J had bought tempted me, and so I had Greek yogurt and strawberries for my 7 AM, I got less than 48 for the day.  Again.  Sigh.

I could justify it and tell you that I can see that eggface often has a shake first thing, and it doesn't seem to hurt her... but I think this really is something that I have to own myself, and so I am.

More steps on the journey away from codependency...

7 comments:

  1. I'm very similiar to you in that if I feel like I'm breaking rules I feel as though I shouldn't do it. It has been something I struggle with a lot in my weight loss journey. It's hard, but I think having the protein shake in the morning is a great step for you. Go forth with putting YOU first. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am such a rules girl but like you, I have found that certain things work better for me. I think if you are able to get all your protein and water in for the days and are eating solid proteins at other times of day you are probably just fine if it's working for you! Noone is the same and something that works for 80% of the people may not work for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eat however many meals you want to, sweetie! As long as you stay within the calorie range you set for yourself, you will be fine.

    And I think alot of people drink protein shakes in the morning, either that or have a protein bar (which I do)... and there's nothing wrong with that! If they want us to get 70g+ of protein per day they can't just assume we'll always get enough in our solid food, can they?

    You can always reevaluate and choose to have three meals or not drink protein shakes or whatever you want to do later. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post...I love the part about "owning this"...that's a real life lesson about so many things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate when people beat me to comments.. Now all I can say is "what they said" .. but I'm totally with you. I had my protein shake this morning too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we all need to do what works for us. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm ... I wonder why you are now just showing up on my blog roll (which only led me to read your entire blog due to our similar ages) :) Glad you're doing well ... very inspirational to me. My doc is also against protein shakes once you move onto full food but I notice he (and he had the surgery) drinks a protein drink (not shake) every time I see him ! Keep blogging - I need it !

    ReplyDelete